Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

make: a statement #2























A very wise little sister sent me the above card on the occasion of my recent birthday. She rightly noted that I always seem worried about my birthdays. I do worry. And I don't like my birthday. I like my friends' and family birthdays. I like frosting and champagne. I just worry about birthdays. More so than New Year's. I enjoy the time for reflection and resolution setting that comes with January 1. But birthdays provoke the same sort of reflection and goal setting, but with the added reminder that you are now older. And then there are the comparisons that happen when you look at other people your age. And all that they've accomplished. And that creates a downward spiral that can lead to drinks stronger than champagne. This year, though, despite my dread leading up to it, I felt more at peace with my birthday. I didn't do much reflection and no goal setting -- I'll leave that for January 1 -- but I let the day pass peacefully. I enjoyed time with family and friends. I enjoyed something sparkly and several cakes. It was nice. And I'm going to carry the above message with me for the rest of the year.

Compendium card.

No comments: