Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

make: pumpkin bread



Do you have a favorite you always reach for when confronted with a pastry case? A croissant perhaps? Maybe doughnuts call your name? If I'm picking up an accompaniment to my morning coffee, I almost always go for a scone. I will even admit here that I kinda like the super dense and sometimes a little dryness of coffee shop scones. I know. It's breakfast pastry blasphemy to not favor the light, flakiness of a croissant.

So, why is the picture of pumpkin bread up above? Because it's officially fall and it's officially totally appropriate to bake pumpkin bread. (And because I have never made a satisfying scone. Hence, I buy them at the coffee shop.) Most mornings, I am an oatmeal kind of girl. I do believe in a good filling breakfast. So, this pumpkin bread is whole wheat, low sugar and totally yummy. Begging for a warm cup of coffee enjoyed wearing a chunky sweater, boots and wool socks. Welcome back fall. I've missed you.

PS -- I followed this recipe for the most part, with the exception of olive oil instead of coconut oil and for flour I used this ratio: 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/4 almond flour, 1/4 coconut flour. I didn't use millet, but I threw in a couple of tablespoons of uncooked steel cut oats. Also, I must note that I thought the step of adding the baking soda to hot water first seemed fussy, but I think it definitely made a difference in the rise of the bread.

No comments: