Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

make: a printed pouch




















The hardest course I took in my college career was Introduction to Printmaking. First semester freshman year. It was taught by an MFA student. Let me state for the record: There were no prerequisites. For the sake of all future students, I do hope the university has added to their course catalog, "Thick skin required." Like brick thick. I think you see where I'm going with this. There were tears involved. But, somehow, I still managed to come through the experience with a love for printmaking. I especially love printing by hand. In the privacy of my home. I carve linoleum or rubber and work with water soluble inks. I've found Speedball Fabric and Paper Block Printing Ink to hold up well on fabric and last through washing. So, I've been testing out a few designs. The zippered pouch above is a recent make. Here is the tutorial I used, with the addition of boxed corners. I've learned hand printing through trial and error. I know there are a lot of great resources out there, including Lena Corwin, if you're looking for some step-by-step instructions.

I'm not the world's greatest artist, but I'm proud that I came out of a really rough experience with my desire to create things still intact.


No comments: