Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

and do: read a book

Let's chat about one of my stand-bys when it comes to doing. I’ve been a reader since I was little. I recorded how many minutes I read each day on my wall calendar. There was a pause in reading by choice that comes with all high school experiences. The only exception being Harry Potter. I mean, does that even have to be clarified? Anyways, I started reading again for pleasure freshman year of college. Yes, I know, I know. Who has time to read for pleasure in college? Let’s not get into that now. Let’s just say, I fell back into books. When you read a book you don’t get any sort of final product. No Homemade Granola. No Sea Salt Challah. But if you’re living a life of make and do reading totally counts. It’s something. Something to get lost in. Something to spark your own creativity. (I have a stock pile of quotes I swear I’m going to work into a project someday.) And it doesn’t come with the guilt that surfing the internet or watching Keeping up with the Kardashians comes with. So it totally counts as a do. (Just an FYI – watching the Ks is something I totally do. It’s just something I will try to avoid writing a whole post about. So don’t panic. Come back again. Please.)

I wouldn't say my taste in books is hugely varied. Primarily contemporary. I love a good sweeping family saga. Barbara Kingsolver is a favorite. But I try to mix it up with fiction and non-fiction. I also love a good memoir. I'm currently reading Adam Johnson's The Orphan Master's Son. It was probably a bit of a heavy choice for summertime reading. I'm really looking forward to the latest from Jhumpa Lahiri -- The Lowland. I loved her first two short story collections. I'll need something to tide me over until Sept. 24. Any recommendations?

Image: Read Me Classics Set from Juniper Books.

No comments: