Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

and do: dive into the september issues


I understand there are people out there who will cite endless page after page of advertisements (before you even get to the table of contents) as a negative to the otherwise glorious September issues. I am not of said camp. The September ads are my favorite part. It's totally appropriate to say I geek out on the them. I am fascinated by the choices designers and labels make when it comes to advertising. There are those that focus on close-ups of the product. Those that choose the high concept art direction route. Those that are consistent season-after-season. (Who wants to take a bet on when a Michael Kors ad will not feature a plane/car/boat?) Often more than oogling the clothes I find myself wondering why the art directors chose certain angles? Why is the model looking straight at the viewer, or glancing to the side? I look at the framing, the background, the balance, and, yes, the clothes.

Different ads draw me in and cause me to linger. Sometimes it's the clothes. Sometimes it's the art of it all. Here are a couple stops I've made so far in Vogue's September issue (and I just made it to the letter from the editor).

Oscar de la Renta (above): The vibrancy of this image is totally lost online. In print it is so rich.


Valentino: I love it when fashion photographers quote art history. This woman could be a portrait from a Dutch master. The still-life on the left didn't appear in Vogue, but makes the 17th century inspiration that much more apparent.



DKNY: This one it was the clothes that drew me in.


Chloe: Again, the clothes here. The outfit on the left is what I wish I were wearing this fall. So easy and effortless.

No comments: