Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

make: a statement #1







































It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see. -Henry David Thoreau

You guys. Good quotes are a personal weakness. I have a compulsive need to write down every wise word, inspirational message, and truism I come across. Today's make is admittedly a bit of a cheat. I didn't make this statement. But I can't resist sharing it here. (And there will probably be more.) While Thoreau's statement applies to many aspects of life, I find it speaks particularly true to art. I studied art history and developed a skill set for how to look at a piece; how to pick out characteristics, technique, and meaning. But ultimately, the best part is still the unique what that each of us sees. We all see something different.

Image from here via here.

No comments: