Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

make: homemade granola





















I like sugar as much as the next girl. Which is to say, I like sugar too much. Sugar doesn’t like me. I crash. Hard. Exhibit A: NYC brunch equals a time to just go for it. Go for the decadent French toast. Two hours later become a whiny, agitated child. Embarrass yourself terribly. Remember why you don’t eat sugar at breakfast. I also love granola. But all granola has added sugar. I’m looking at you agave and honey. You count too. The only solution is to make your own. My recipe isn’t much of one, but here it is:

1.     Combine oats, walnuts, hazelnuts, unsweetened dried coconut flakes, and freshly ground sea salt.
2.     In a separate bowl, combine about ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce, 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp peanut butter.
3.     Mix applesauce mix into the oat mix.
4.     Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Take out of oven, stir around, and bake for another 15-20.
5.     Let cool, then add in dried goji berries.

Note: When assembling ingredients for an attempt at a pretty before shot remember to then set the goji berries aside and not bake with the granola. This will make for blackened goji berries and the after shot will not be speckled with vibrant red prettiness. See above.

No comments: