Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

make: fresh plum sauce


I like to think I am a decent home cook. There are a few dishes I can respectively cook up without consulting a recipe. I like to think I make a decent risotto. I've got the basic steps down. A couple years ago I worked on perfecting a basic tomato sauce. Experimenting with the right ratio of onions, garlic, chile flakes, herbs, and splash(es) of balsamic vinegar. But, right here, I will admit that besides tomato sauce and pesto, I don't venture into the realm of sauces. Last week, I had a lot of pluots. And in my attempt to not bake up copious amounts of dessert, I opened up my browser and searched for savory plum dishes (thinking specifically pluot recipes would be few and far between). Happily, I found this Melissa Clark recipe. I thought it looked tasty. So I continued my search with the terms "vegetarian" and "plum sauce." Not so many hits on that one. Nevertheless, I was determined to make this fresh plum sauce. Or, in my case, pluot sauce. I marinated tofu in it for a couple of hours. Lightly pan-fried it. Steamed some broccoli and added a scoop of brown rice to the plate. It was...different. I mean, I think I liked it. Maybe the pluot for plums wasn't the way to go? The second round of tofu in the frying pan got crispier and the sauce started to caramelize. Definitely yummier. Will I make it again? Maybe. Next summer. When the bounty of fresh fruit is again forcing an attempt to think outside of dessert. Also, next time, I think I'll use plums.

No comments: