Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

make: pumpkin granola



I am pretty sure I ate a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast everyday for a solid five years. Maybe straying due to travel or brunch plans. I like a routine. And oatmeal was a critical part of my morning routine. Looking back, I can pinpoint the switch to the day I discovered Greek yogurt. And homemade granola. Now my breakfast routine is all out of whack. It's more like breakfast phases. I have oatmeal phases. And granola phases. Banana and peanut butter phases.

I had been craving oatmeal cookies for about a week now. Since it's fall, and I must take advantage of all opportunities to use pumpkin, I did a search for pumpkin oatmeal cookies. What caught my eye in the results was pumpkin granola. Light bulb moment and I decided pumpkin would be an easy switch for the applesauce I usually use in my granola. A few more swaps made included pumpkin seeds instead of almonds, almond butter instead of peanut butter (I had an open jar and I don't know about you, but that's how I make kitchen decisions), and currants instead of goji berries. Forty minutes later and another canned pumpkin use for my back pocket.

No comments: