Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

and do: go to the ballet



Like most little girls, I spent a handful of years in ballet classes. For me, it was very short lived. I was reintroduced to dance by a good friend and dancer and went to several of her performances in high school. Several years ago she invited me to a performance at the Pacific Northwest Ballet. The repertoire that evening included a piece by a contemporary choreographer and I remember being blown away by the movements and physicality of the dance. I imagine part of what draws me to (watch) dance is the unique combination of athleticism and beauty. It's a blending of two of my passions -- sports and art. Last week was the Pacific Northwest Ballet's season opener, Air Twyla, including a world premiere and live music by legendary pianist Allen Toussaint. It was good to be surrounded by those passions again.

Image via PNB.

No comments: